Broody hens for the first time

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Gloria's Gang, May 17, 2010.

1. Gloria's Gang

Gloria's Gang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Atkinson, NH
    I have a broody cochin and a broody silkie, no rooster. I got fertilized eggs for them to sit on. The cochin was given 5, the next day there were six under her. I didn't think she would lay any more eggs. I didn't mark them at all because I thought that might harm the eggs. Another one of my hens may have gotten into the box. Neither one of them has left the box that I know of, (hopefully only for a quick drink and snack which are close by). Never done this before, is it normal?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

If you notice that she never leaves the nest, you will have to put food and water right under her nose. I seem to have this problem with all my broodies.

3. Gloria's Gang

Gloria's Gang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Atkinson, NH
    Is it okay that they are still in the coop with the other 5 hens? I have four nest boxes in all and the other girls are using the two empty ones. I have a waterer and food in the coop, about a foot away from them. There was a giant poop right there which must have been from the silkie.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I still have mine in the coop because there is no way for the other hens to get behind them and donate their eggs to the cause. But you need to make sure she is getting food and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by