BrOoDy HeNs FoR tHe YeAr 2010!!!!!

lcw

Songster
10 Years
Jan 6, 2010
southern ohio
Hi everyone !
frow.gif
I was just reading a post and saw were someone said "do we need to make "another" "year of the broodies"?

Well I thought why not.So I decided to make it.
ya.gif
ya.gif
ya.gif
I don't know how the previous one was worded but what i'm going to say is :

If you have a broody hen let us know all about it.Post pics,keep us updated on everything.
thumbsup.gif
wee.gif

Here's some info on my broody hens this year:

Ive had about 10 broodys so far this year give or take a few.
th.gif
th.gif
I can't remember who all has been broody but here is who is broody now:

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nugget: Mutt Hen.She's not sitting on anything.As of today she's been broody since the middle of February.

Liza:White Silkie Hen.She's not sitting on anything right now either.I did hatch a White Cochin Chick out in the incubator and gave it to her but the bigger hens bullied her off the nest and the chick died.Never again will I do that.She's been broody since around the beginning of February

Cinder:Black Silkie Hen.She's not sitting on anything.She's one of my oldest hens and has raised many broods over the years.She just went broody a week or so ago.

Louise:Lemon Blue Standard Cochin Project Hen.She's to big to sit on anything.She squashes anything you put under her.Don't know if I want to give her anything this year or not yet.

Penny:Buff Cochin Bantam Hen.She's currently sitting on 6 Northern Bobwhite Quail Eggs due to hatch March 1st.I'll keep you updated on that.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Those are my broodies that I have at the moment.Please share all you want about your broodies.
fl.gif
woot.gif
ya.gif
clap.gif
wee.gif

Thanks.Cole.
frow.gif

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 24, 2008
NZ
It's not long since I bought an incubator, so I expect an outbreak of mass broodiness any day.

little_grey_bantam

Songster
10 Years
Mar 29, 2009
Russell County
I have a Rhode Island Red Bantam X Red Jungle Fowl hen mix... The BIGGEST meanest little hen EVER! Haha, she chilled out after raising her own brood <3 She will hatch out ANY cheap eggs (won't sit on FBCMs LOL). Mean little booger, but I enjoy her silliness. She's small, spunky and a mean little thing! Fierce and will chase dogs several times her size to protect her babies!

Then I have my Australorp hen - sweetest hen ever! I had her adopt approximately 60 silkie chicks last year
smile.png
And she's gone broody 3-4 times? So friendly, follows me around with her sister!

I have my I believe SQ-lined White Silkie I got from someone "Opal" This is a broody machine! SHe would NOT stop being broody almost to the point of no return... luckily her owner wanted her to have a wonderful home and she came to us! She's the one we stick all the expensive eggs underneath!
smile.png
She's currently broody and on 3 L. Sussex and 3 FBCMs!
smile.png

Then R.I.P - my BEAUTIFUL Red Jungle Fowl hen "Henny Penny" - lovely girl who raised a few clutch. Wild and crazy and once got sick and lived on my oven (I cleaned it really well lol). Calmed down after hatching her first clutch <3

lcw

Songster
10 Years
Jan 6, 2010
southern ohio
Quote:
red jungle fowl are great broodies and mothers!
i have an australorp that hasnt even acted broody.shes my egg eater out there so if she does go broody i dont think shes going to get anything.
a silkie.of course.everyone who has had silkies know that they are very determined broodies.like i said i have 2 now.1 white and 1 black.
keep the replys comming. :)

fowltemptress

Frugal Fan Club President
12 Years
Jan 20, 2008
Oh, cute! I wish I'd seen the previous thread. I'll be on the look out for broodiness now.

lcw

Songster
10 Years
Jan 6, 2010
southern ohio
Quote:
youll be getting it soon.spring is comming and mommas wanna hatch chicks. (;

i think when they were talking about it being called "year or the broodies" i think they were talking about https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=130610&p=15 .i think they just called it that because it was such a big thread everyone kept saying things about there broody hens that whole year.probably not but thats what i think.

Last edited:

lauralou

Crowing
13 Years
Dec 10, 2007
Central Virginia
I don't have any broodies yet, but spring is just around the corner.

I have 6 broody hens.

Sugar - a big mixed breed hen who resembles a Barred Rock. But isn't.
smile.png
She has raised lots of babies for me over the years.

Blondie - a Buff Orpington. Normally, she's the sweetest hen ever, but when she has babies, she's a holy terror!

Tough Cookie - a Dominique. Probably my favorite broody hen. She teaches her babies to come to people and beg for treats.

These three are my primary broody hens that I use all the time. They are all excellent, experienced broodies. Then I have some younger girls that I've never used to hatch eggs.

Georgia, Lola, and Stella. All Dominiques.

I did give Georgia some eggs once, but she didn't do so well, and the eggs ended up in Sugar's nest. I'd have to be pretty desperate to try her again.

I plan to give Stella and Lola eggs this year, so they can start getting some experience. I was thinking of giving silkie eggs to Lola. She's a small hen, and very sweet. Low on the pecking order in the laying flock, so I thought that allowing her to brood alone in the new silkie pen might work out well. I have a feeling she'll make a very attentive mother.

In case I'm wrong about that, I'll have a standby broody to take over. I never seem to get one broody at a time. It's like a contagious disease around here. When one goes broody, they all go broody!

Oh, and I have a little Blue Andalusian hen who is occasionally and halfheartedly broody. I don't really count her when I think of my broody hens. She's very easy to break of her broodiness, and I can imagine her abandoning a nest and ruining a hatch.

So, that's what I have. And I'm really excited for the first signs of broodiness. Looking forward to hatching some eggs this spring. I'll update when the time comes.

sgtmom52

Birds &amp; Bees
12 Years
Jun 1, 2007
Northern York County ~ Pennsylvania
I have Goldie a BO who goes broody a couple time a year. She was broody for most of January, but finally broke. I don't have any roos right now and I didn't want chicks in the middle of winter so I didn't get her any fertile eggs this time. She did hatch 6 EE/Spangled Russian Orloff eggs for me 2 years ago and was a wonderful mother.

Top Bottom