broody hens hatch question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunnyday1, Jul 26, 2010.

1. sunnyday1

sunnyday1 New Egg

Jul 11, 2008
    Help:)
    I had two BO's go broody at the same time...they are each sitting on 3 eggs in a little coop separate from the other hens. The chicks have started piping and one is hatched. I just read that it is a bad idea to keep two new mama hens together b/c they will kill the others chicks! Yikes...what should I do? Put all the eggs/chicks under one hen, or will they be ok?

Thanks for any quick replies!!

Michelle

2. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Rogue Valley, S. Oregon
    I think they will be ok as long as they get along fine normally and have the space to get away from eachother.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Do you have any possible way to separate the two hens?

I had three broodies each with a clutch, and once the eggs started to hatch I kept all three separate. I goofed one time and accidentally let one of the hens into a pen with another hen. A vicious hen fight ensued, with one hen pecking and hanging on to the other hen's comb like a bulldog! It was awful, and I was more careful after that.

It depends on the personalities of the individual birds, but I'd be very nervous about leaving two broodies together. It's those mom hormones: it can make them get pretty fierce.

4. sunnyday1

sunnyday1 New Egg

Jul 11, 2008
    Thanks for the replies:)
    I ended up putting all the eggs under one, and taking the other back to the coop with the other hens....

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Just FYI, my broodies seem to like sharing the nest and going in pairs or trios. I haven't had any problems. Had 3 hens share 3 babies one time, 2 hens share 4 babies last time.....and currently have 3 hens piled in the same nest again, just sitting on eggs. It actually works out well, assuming the moms get along. I tend to have an "aggressive" mom and a "nice" mom...usually the aggressive one will attack everyone in sight, while the nice mom watches the babies from a distance. LOL.

You could try it out to see what happens, just keep an eye on things. My girls seem to do fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by