1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hens Hatching Orphans

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Putt Hutt Farms, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Putt Hutt Farms

Putt Hutt Farms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2015
    Amboy, Ar
    My Coop
    We are not allowed Roos in the city I live in. So when my girls go broody they try to hatch golf balls, because I take the infertile eggs out from under them throughout the day.
    My question is this:
    If one of our girls goes broody could I buy fertile eggs (from another flock) and put under her and she "possibly" hatch them?
    I thought about trying it last year. But thought I'd better get some others opinions.
    So do you think it's possible?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Far more than just possible it is a common practice. Hens do not know which eggs are theirs. They will incubate any eggs - even those of other species. Go for it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Putt Hutt Farms

Jan 18, 2015
    Amboy, Ar
    My Coop
    Thank You

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    You can also foster chicks under broody hens by placing them under the hen in the evening. The hens will feel the chicks moving and hear them chirping during the night which will help them to bond. In my experience this works best with hens that have been setting a minimum of 2 weeks.

5. Putt Hutt Farms

Jan 18, 2015
    Amboy, Ar
    My Coop
    Now that is good to know. I am still going to try the eggs. Maybe even the chicks. Thank You Sourland

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I'm allergic to feather and chick dander... as a result I cannot have incubators. So.. back when I had peafowl, broody hens were used to sit on and even raise the baby peafowl. This is despite the peafowl eggs being much bigger than their own eggs, haha..

You can either get a fresh batch of fertile eggs and set them under a broody.. or as someone mentioned, you can even get day old chicks and put them preferably right after dark under a hen that has been sitting at least two weeks.. three weeks or longer is often better though. Just after dark, so the hen and chicks will have all night to bond to each other..

Have fun! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by