Broody hens on 2nd clutch...will the be okay?

Lach Cnoc Farm

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Western Washington
So after my cochin hen went broody, my other cochin hen and a bantam EE hen both went broody within a week...

in the shuffle of hens, they mixed the eggs all up. they've hatched most of the original eggs, theres just about 5 left.

so tonight (now that i have a fresh dozen) i decided to give the first cochin hen all the oldest eggs and went and gave each of the remaining hens 6 eggs...

2 green
2 white
2 brown

those 2 never set a full 21 days so i figured they would do fine, i tried to break the EE hen out of broody but she was having NONE of that!

i've been making sure they have food n water everyday and they have been doing good so far but i am going to try and get some dishes rigged-up tomorrow in each 'nesting crate'
smile.png

has anyone else ever let their hens set twice? will it be too hard on them or should they be okay as long as i keep them fed and hydrated? theyre also getting some calf mana as a supplement.

Last edited:
I'm kinda going through a similar situation. My broody hatched 3 chicks 2weeks ago. On Tues I finally let her back outside (her nesting crate was in my garage). I gave her one of the chicks to raise and put the other two in the brooder. Well she got spooked by something, ended up in a tree and left the chick behind (I never did find the little guy). But she started setting on the nest again, so I figured why not and put a few more eggs under her.

Now while she's great about setting, she does get off the nest once or twice a day to eat and drink and didn't seem to lose any weight. Do your girls eat and drink ok? If so I would think they should be fine.

Good luck!

The EE hen gets off regularly to eat and drink but the COCHINS (
somad.gif
) just want to sit and sit and sit!!

the frizzle hen always loses weight when she sits so i am supplementing them this time around with the calf mana to help keep weight on.

i gotta figure out something to use in the morning in each box for food and water.

i got free plastic crates from the farm up the road, they always toss them along the fence and leave them there forever (most are busted), luckily the 2 i got were good, just a little misshapen. so far the hens like them a lot more than the wooden boxes.

Back
Top Bottom