Broody Hens raising chicks together

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heybarb, Sep 11, 2012.

1. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    My two OEGBs that just hatched 4 chicks each are so cute together. They are sharing a pen together and this afternoon I noticed one mama outside taking a dust bath. All 8 babies were under the other mama hen. About 30 minutes later, the other mama was outside taking a dust bath with the other mama sitting on the babies. At one point, all 8 chicks were wondering around the yard following their mamas and you couldn't tell which babies belonged to which mama. I had no idea chickens would do this!! Add this to the list of "Things I love about my chickens!"

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There may be some disadvantages to co nesting, but one advantage is that the chicks have two mothers to protect them.

3. heybarb

heybarb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North Carolina
    What are some of the disadvantages of co-nesting? So far, I've only found lots and lots of positives...

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    The only negative I have had is once when two moms started fighting over the chicks. I had to separate them. Otherwise, I love it when they share chicks. This was a case of three moms, four chicks. Everybody was happy!

[​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Busted and cracked eggs and flat out fighting. Busted and cracked eggs coupled with low percentage hatch rates are my experience with large fowl - not so much of a problem with bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by