Broody Hens Raising Meaties!!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Farmer_Dan, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Instead of hijacking this other thread (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=325493) , I thought I'd start a new one.

Ordered 25 cornish X chicks from Whelp Hatchery. Also, simultaneously, had 2 hens go broody and we put 8 fertile EE eggs under them. This will be the first time either of them went broody, both less than 1 year old.

Due to shipping issues, only 10 / 25 of the cornish X's showed up alive.

Of the fertile eggs, 2 / 8 hatched. Cute little EE's.

The broody girls did adopt them though and they are indeed very cute with their new moms. The broody girls are hatchery chicks we raised over the last year. One is a black Sumatra, the other is a bantam Cochin.

These pics are of the chicks when they were just a few days old, before we got the 18 more from Whelp in the mail.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Whelp hatchery sent another batch of meaties to us, they sent 18 and 1 has died so far.

Last night, we snuck 10 out of the 17 new meaties into the tractor with the broody girls and their babies, this morning, they were all happily pecking around. Going to try slipping the 7 remaining into the tractor today or tonight and see if we can get them all raised together.

New pics hopefully will be coming soon of the big happy family in the tractor. We normally let our birds range around 2 or 3 days a week and the rest of the time, they get to stay in their large run. These meaties will live their entire life in the tractor, well, maybe we'll let them range a bit from time to time, but for the most part, we want to keep the poop where we want it.

More to come. [​IMG]

2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    Here they are at a few days old, outside in the tractor with mommies!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by