Broody Hens Relocated :)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bleenie, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I finally got my 2 broody Bantam Cochin hens relocated into dog crates on the covered back porch. They don't seem to be minding it so far & i am sure they will be much happier alone, especially some 1 hen was constantly getting yanked off her nest by the rooster.

I also swapped out their 4 wooden eggs for 9(each) fertile EE & Frizzle cochin(possible EE daddy too) eggs.

Hen #1 (Layla) is a Bantam Blue Cochin/Silkie cross, first time momma. She seems a little lost as to why i put her and her eggs into a big box, but i am sure she'll settle in. she hasnt left her wooden eggs for more than 40 seconds at a time. she's determined to hatch some babies, lol.

Hen#2 (Patty) is a Bantam Partridge Cochin, she sat on 8 nests last year and was a great mother, she even adopted a 3week old chick after her babies were gone. She seems right at home and settled right into the crate. I am sure she wont have any problems.

Since it's her first time, I am keeping my fingers crossed for Layla!! [​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I'm glad to hear it all went well! [​IMG]

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I was more worried about disrupting the 'old' momma's broodiness more than the new momma!! I bought a couple tubs at the $1 store though and their nests in the nesting boxes just lifted right out and fit perfectly into the tubs! (they were made of hay)

I am going to check on them again in the morning to make sure they're still fine. They're gonna get plent of treats now too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by