1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

broody hens taking turns?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ivoryhoof farm, Apr 29, 2008.

1. ivoryhoof farm

ivoryhoof farm In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    PHX, AZ
    I decided to let our broody hen hatch some eggs. We got some eggs from a
    neighbor, She is so happy! This morning I found her off the nest, out taking a dust bath and grabbing a bite to eat! Another hen was on her nest sitting on her eggs! Could they be taking turns or is she just chick-sitting for her friend?
    Just love these chickens!

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Songster

Mar 28, 2007
    well you could have 2 broodies sitting on those eggs.or you could have 1 laying her eggs with the broodies.

3. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

Or you could have both, like I do! I have two Broodies, little sisters that look alike and are sharing a nest, and when they get up for a stretch together, their nest gets taken over by a Mottled Houdan, who lays an egg for them and then leaves! I have to go get her egg out from under them later, their others are marked, so they only keep them. I think most chickens are less disturbed by their own nest swapping than by our interference, although mine are used to the routine and quite friendly about it now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: