Broody hens trying to sit and mother eachother?

MarylandChick

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 23, 2007
A.A. County MD
I have two hens who went broody at the same time in the same nest which in itself is no big deal. But they now appear to be trying to sit on top of eachother. They try to spread their wings over the heads of eachother, they both attack if you go near the other. They show no agression towards one another. I guess it's all cute but it's also a little disturbing.

This is the first time one of them has gone broody and the third time the other has. I was hoping to shove some fertile eggs under them and see if I could get my first chicks. Right now they are sitting on 3 eggs and a golf ball I think. I don't know if the eggs are fertile yet.

The problem is that even if these two hens can handle peacefully hatching and raising chics together I don't know if we'll get to that point. We are in the middle of a heat wave where I live so it's not an ideal time to stop eating and drinking and just sit indoors on a nest.

I'm wondering if maybe I could just go buy 3 chicks and toss them under then hens and maybe they might just think "oh the babies are here wa-hoo" and then raise them. Do you think I could get away with it?

DSC00148.jpg

If they have been sitting for at least a week, better if at least two, sure, you can stick some day olds under them. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they accept them. After sitting an extra day or two with the adoptee's, they should get up off the nest.

I have had problems with broodies hatching chicks right next to each other. The hens essentially squash the babies as they hatch because both of them want to be the mother and are 'fighting' to get to it. The chick is caught between the two hens and it just isn't pretty.

I learned my lesson. One broody can stay put but the other gets moved to a nice roomy dog kennel. Each one has eggs and are happy.

However, I have two hens now that have babies that are older and all of the babies and the hens sleep together. But the chicks are around two months old.

Back
Top Bottom