Broody hens - Why are they not committing?!

Feb 17, 2021
I posted about this yesterday, but my polish hen had all the signs of broodiness, walking around puffing her feathers, staying in her nest box VERY long, and pecked at me while I was looking at her. Today, she is not broody. I've had this same problem with my other hen, and she didn't commit either.... What do i do? Is there something wrong with my hens? Are the other hens being bullies to her? This nest box is popular, but is there a way to give/do to them something that will help her commit in the furture???? HELP!!!!!!

but my polish hen had all the signs of broodiness, walking around puffing her feathers, staying in her nest box VERY long, and pecked at me while I was looking at her.
Those are not signs of a broody to me, non-broody hen will do the same things.
I call the nest lingerers 'loungers'.

These are my go-to signs of a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?

If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

I posted about this yesterday
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/is-my-red-crested-polish-hen-broody.1458147/

Back
Top Bottom