Broody hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kmac1, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma
    Is there any time of year that hens go broody. My pullets are jUst starting to lay. Was wondering when they may start to go broody.

2. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    Hens may go broody any time of year, but it is most common during the warmer months, when I believe their hormones spike up.

3. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma

Thank you, I see your avatar is a Bramha, I have 3 Bramahas, 2 roosters and a hen. My one rooster is mounting my pullets I think before they are ready. The reason I think this because they don't squat for him he just jumps on them and coerces them down. Does that sound right.

4. KeyFlock

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    That is normal for some roosters, while others will take a less aggressive route of what I like to call "flirting" before they mate. It's where they lower one wing to the ground and dance in circles around the hen, and the hen will decide whether to squat or not. Other roosters, typically young or aggressive, will just hop on whenever they get a chance.

5. Kmac1

Kmac1 ChickenAddict

May 22, 2016
    Kingfisher, Oklahoma

Should I keep this rooster or give him to my nephew. I have a RIR that I like and will keep

6. KeyFlock

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    It's up to you, but if you like the RIR, and the other one seems too aggressive, then I would give him away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by