Broody hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kamuelachix, Mar 15, 2017.

1. kamuelachix

kamuelachix New Egg

Sep 6, 2015
    Hi, I have a broody hen who has been sitting on eggs for a few weeks, and about a week ago two more decided they wanted in on the action. Yesterday 3 of the 8 eggs hatched, and I'm wondering if it's ok to let all 3 hens do what they're doing or should I seperate the new mom and chicks/remaining eggs?
    Thanks!

2. kamuelachix

kamuelachix New Egg

Sep 6, 2015
    Here are a few pics of the situation...[​IMG]
    When I move the two other hens, they climb all over mom #1...
    [​IMG]

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That is cute...;)......I would just keep an eye on them....As long as they are all loving the Chicks it should be fine...

Best of luck...:)

Cheers!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC @kamuelachix .

Could be a fine situation....or could be a broken egg disaster.
    I see it's been a couple days....so, how's it going?

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Remove chicks and hen that has been on nest the longest getting well away from where the remaining hen(s) can hear the removed chicks. I would even make so only one hen remains with clutch yet to be hatched. All sorts of complications can happen in multiple hen settings for those chicks. Staggered hatch complicates it further. I have allowed multiple hen rearings in the past. Number of chicks reared per broody hen is reduced. Reduction starts with lower hatch followed by lower survival of hatched chicks. Cute needs to be balanced with chick welfare.

6. chickens really

I just tossed in my Broody Bantam and 7 Chicks back into my Flock..They are 3 weeks old and Two Hens are Mothering them now....The more a person over thinks Chickens and interferes...The harder it becomes...Flock Birds...They do best if allowed to be natural....

Anyways I wish you luck...:)

Cheers!

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

What is natural about a confined group of chickens where parental females with dependent offspring are just tossed in? It can work sometimes without issue. On the whole, bad advice.

1 person likes this.
  8. chickens really

Sorry you feel that way...;)......BYC is a forum to help people who ask question...Not a debate or argument thread......This works for me so I replied.....You flock is not my flock and my Birds are great, healthy, with zero issues....

Anyways....;)

Cheers!

9. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I think the answer to this question depends on your personal tolerance for risk. It's safer to separate a broody hen and her chicks from the flock because sometimes the other hens will attack and kill chicks, and sometimes the hens will fight over the chicks with the broody defending hers.

It also depends on your set up, and how easy it would be for you to separate them. Some folks feel it's just not worth the trouble and are willing to tolerate the risk of a dead chick or two. Sometimes it works out just fine anyway.

You have the added complication of staggered hatch. Normally, the hen will lead her hatched chicks off the nest a few days after the first one hatches (otherwise it will starve), leaving behind the unhatched eggs which will then chill and stop development (unless one of the other hens decides to sit on them). If your broody hen doesn't do this, but stays on the nest incubating the remaining eggs, you'll need to intervene to make sure the chicks are eating and drinking.

Good luck! There's nothing cuter to watch than a hen raising her chicks. I remember when ours were raising chicks, the chicks used to climb under the hen's feathers and peek out from under her wing pits.

1 person likes this.
  10. chickens really

The proof is in the pudding....The original poster has not asked for advise in 3 day and 13 hours.....Looks to me like it all worked out as it should....;)....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by