Broody hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jurrasiccluck, Mar 18, 2017.

1. jurrasiccluck

jurrasiccluck Just Hatched

Jan 18, 2017
    Hi. I am wanting to know how to quickly make a hen broody. I don't want to separate one and I put eggs in a laying box on the ground, but if there's another way please tell me.

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    To my knowledge you can not really make them, I guess if they can see eggs in a dark secluded place that would encourage them but I feel like it is their own decision. If you want broody hens it is best to buy breeds like Cochins or Silkies that will commonly go broody.

Best of luck

3. ibarrett

ibarrett Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    It's probably best to put fake eggs or golfballs in the laying box, that way the eggs you put in there aren't at risk of being stood on, especially if you have eggs you put to the side for hatching.

I've heard placing a curtain in front of the laying box or just finding a way to make it really dark works. I've also heard that putting a small amount of lavender in the laying box helps.

Do you have breeds that tend to go and stay broody? (a simple internet search could provide you with a list)

Best of luck.

4. jurrasiccluck

Jan 18, 2017
    I have 3 black australorps 1 White Rock and a tiny white leghorn, and when I say tiny she's really tiny. I heard australorps are very good brooders and defensive mother's but I can't get them broody.

5. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Honestly if they do not want to be broody they won't become broody

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Hens will become broody when the spirit (hormones) move them. You can't 'force' motherhood! Leaving some eggs in a nest helps, and then it's genetics and the phase of the moon, or something. Mary

7. jurrasiccluck

Jan 18, 2017
    I know I can't force it, but it would be nice to know when their cycle comes around.

8. I Love Layers

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Whenever they want it to. It's not like a menstrual cycle[​IMG]

9. the chickentaco

the chickentaco Just Hatched

Mar 18, 2017
    Anacortes WA
    I never leave a light on for any of mine but my earliest female was an Orpington who'd set up a nest in late March, and start to go broody in early April and finally start sitting full time by May, until she'd hatched a clutch! But in any case I'd go with finding her favorite nest box and putting some fake eggs down and then wait till she's laid at least 2 more before you remove them to keeping her sitting.I like to use straw so it makes them want to nest build! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by