Broody hens

Erie26

Chirping
Oct 22, 2018
Garrard county, Kentucky, USA
Hi fellow chicken lovers!

I have been doing some research on which is the best broody hens to add in my flocks. From what I been hearing, Silkies and Cochens are the top best broody breed. But I am concern with Silkies options, because there are some information about the hens being mean and can kill the chicks as soon they hatch. I would not mind Silkies or Cochens for helping to hatch eggs instead of buying an incubators. Any advice or information about those breed or possibly another kinds that would raise the chicks after hatching would be grateful!

Most hens that go broody make excellent mothers. That can be of any breed or mixes of breeds. But each chicken has its own personality. However rare it may be it is possible that any broody hen of any breed can be a bad mommy. You tend to hear of the problems a lot more than the successes. I would not worry about that when making my decision.

Some breeds tend to go broody more than others. It is possible you can get a broody hen even from breeds that don't go broody often, but don't count on it. On the other side not every hen of a breed that has a reputation for going broody does. Some Silkies or Cochin never go broody. The more you have of these breeds the better your chance of getting a broody hen.

Even if you do get a hen that will go broody you have no control over when she goes broody. You may wait all season and never get a broody hen or one may go broody at a very inconvenient time. If you want to control the hatching, get an incubator. But I admit I really like my broody hens.

I don't know your goals as far as why you have chickens so I won't try to recommend a breed. You might look through Henderson's Breed Chart to see which breeds they say tend to go broody when making your decision, but you don't get guarantees.

Henderson’s Breed Chart

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

99.9% of game hens will go broody. When they hit 6 months old and the days are increasing in length they will go broody. They will keep on for three to four broods a year. Some will do 5. You can depend on it. You can have eggs shipped and count on them being hatched and raised. They can be defensive of their chicks, to the point of harming them in a territory squabble with another hen, or harming strange chicks. Broody hens should always be isolated.

Ridgerunner,
Thank you so much for this knowledge. I only have 2 hens and a rooster at this point since others were sadly killed by hawks and foxes. I was planning on adding more variety of hens and was wanting to know which would be best for hatching and raising chicks. I cannot afford a incubator and that is why I wanted to know which was best for going broody.

Ridgerunner,
Thank you so much for this knowledge. I only have 2 hens and a rooster at this point since others were sadly killed by hawks and foxes. I was planning on adding more variety of hens and was wanting to know which would be best for hatching and raising chicks. I cannot afford a incubator and that is why I wanted to know which was best for going broody.

Sounds like you don’t necessarily need a hen that lives to brood. I think silkies and Cochins have a tendency to be perpetually broody. So if your just looking fo a hatch here and there - maybe once a year to maintain your own flock and maybe sell a few when mama weens maybe a silkie is more trouble than you want. It’s not good for a hens health to stay broody all the time so expect to have to “break” them when not planning a hatch.

As previously said any hen can go broody. Any hen can be a good ma or a bad ma. My first ever flock I had a hatchery speckled Sussex that couldn’t be broke (really - could not be broke!) Eventually gave her babies after 2 months of trying and she walked away from them at 3 weeks. Speckled Sussex are notorious for liking their treats. But- her contagious hormones drew in my hatchery cuckoo marans. So I gave her chicks without even trying to break her as she kept trying to steal the eggs and then babirs. I was getting pretty tired of the same lecture and argument from chicken. This Hatchery cuckoo never left her babies for 7 weeks. Since then she goes broody once a year and I don’t fight her. She is serious about her duties and never weens until 7+ weeks = effortless for me. You can read about her (and my novice lack of judgement) in the “how not to let a broody hatch” thread located in the incubating and hatching forum.

All the best- I wish you the perfect broody! They sure make it easy!

What breed are youe current chickens?
Yes silkies Tend to go broody and my experience are great mothers, but... they may get picked on by your other birds as they tend to be timid. Also when you hatch your oun half will be roosters. Do you have a plan for them?
My best broodies were barred rock and black astralorp. Two days ago one of my isa browns went broody! There is 3 feet of snow here and we just came out of a week of temperatures in the single digits.
You just never know.

Brooding bad for their health? Tell that to the game hens that raise three to five broods a year and regularly live into their teens. Of course it is bad for silkies and bantams, they are hatched with a lot going against them from the start.

Hi fellow chicken lovers!

I have been doing some research on which is the best broody hens to add in my flocks. From what I been hearing, Silkies and Cochens are the top best broody breed. But I am concern with Silkies options, because there are some information about the hens being mean and can kill the chicks as soon they hatch. I would not mind Silkies or Cochens for helping to hatch eggs instead of buying an incubators. Any advice or information about those breed or possibly another kinds that would raise the chicks after hatching would be grateful!

I have a beautiful 2yo Partridge Cochin and she has never gone broody and hardly gives any eggs---maybe she is just an exception to the broody list but very disappointed in her and will not get them again. I am getting Buff Brahmas/Orpingtons and Salmon Faverolles . I had a wonderful Buff Orp who had 2 nests for 2yrs in a row and I was excited about this yr but found her dead in coop in Feb--phooey. The other BO I had never went broody so you just never know until you know, you know? Sorry, Crush the Turtle line from Finding Nemo-had 3d of that movie with Grandkids recently so kinda stuck in my head... ;)

Back
Top Bottom