Broody hens?

Kateb910

In the Brooder
Jul 15, 2020
We have 2 cochin hens, they have been laying eggs now for a couple of months. 3 days ago we noticed the 2 cochins were staying in the nexting boxes all day, so we just figured they were going broody and sitting on eggs. Well today we were gonna check and see how many they were sitting on a mark them.. but neither are sitting on any eggs... Is this normal behavior?.. The rest of my flock are acting totally normal and seem fine.... These are my only 2 cochins in our flock.

I had three of my new hens do that this year and give up early or quickly when disturbed even in the slightest. Then I had one that actually sat out the 21 days. I think they because of their age they don't always commit 100%. Even my pullet that incubated the eggs for 21 days had her nest stolen by one of my 5 year old hens after the eggs started hatching and now they are being raised by the 5 year old. I think being so young she just wasn't as ready and the older hen knew it.

When a hen goes broody she will sit on chicken eggs, turkey eggs, ping pong balls, door knobs, or if nothing is there just on her imagination.

My test if a hen is broody enough to give her eggs to hatch is where she spends the night. If she spends two consecutive nights on the nest she can be given eggs. It has to be two consecutive nights.

If they are still in the nests, what do you want them to do, hatch eggs or do you want to break them from being broody.

I had three of my new hens do that this year and give up early or quickly when disturbed even in the slightest. Then I had one that actually sat out the 21 days. I think they because of their age they don't always commit 100%. Even my pullet that incubated the eggs for 21 days had her nest stolen by one of my 5 year old hens after the eggs started hatching and now they are being raised by the 5 year old. I think being so young she just wasn't as ready and the older hen knew it.
Wow really? Thats cool that another hen took on that responsibility. Chickens really are incredible animals ❤

Are those two the top ones in the pecking order?
They could also be claiming "their" nesting box.
They are 2 of the oldest, but still young if that makes sense lol. Maybe they are claiming their nests, since neither has a clutch of eggs, thats what i found odd because we just assumed they each had eggs under them.

When a hen goes broody she will sit on chicken eggs, turkey eggs, ping pong balls, door knobs, or if nothing is there just on her imagination.

My test if a hen is broody enough to give her eggs to hatch is where she spends the night. If she spends two consecutive nights on the nest she can be given eggs. It has to be two consecutive nights.

If they are still in the nests, what do you want them to do, hatch eggs or do you want to break them from being broody.
Yes 2 nights in the nests, i do not mind if they are broody,.....since neither of the 2 have eggs can i put some under them? This may sound stupid but i know my rooster does "get with most of the hens, do i just put eggs under them and see what happens? But id feel bad if the eggs weren't fertilized and they sat for no reason.

Yes 2 nights in the nests, i do not mind if they are broody,.....since neither of the 2 have eggs can i put some under them? This may sound stupid but i know my rooster does "get with most of the hens, do i just put eggs under them and see what happens? But id feel bad if the eggs weren't fertilized and they sat for no reason.
Im new to this, im just getting my flock established.

Back
Top Bottom