Broody hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by estpr13, Mar 26, 2009.

1. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I have a NH broody hen who has hatched at least 3 chicks so far and is still sitting tight. Yesterday I noticed that she had a very small comb compared to all the other hens.

My question(s) is: is this a characteristic of a broody? (having a smaller comb from more estrogen)/
    or could it be from a result of not eating much for the last three weeks?(depletion of fatty reserves)/
    or could this just be the way she has always been?

Could those of you who have broody hens do a check just to see and compare?

I will take a picture and compare it to another pic I take in about 6 to 8 weeks to see if it gets larger just to rule out option # 2.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I can tell you that my broodys comb only changed color not size. However once they have hatched they tend not to leave the nest at all. I had to stick the food right under her nose to get her to eat and drink.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I agree with the above post, my broody's go from a bright red comb and wattles to a duller color. I has to do with the need to no longer attract a roos attention and to make them less obvious to predators.

4. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Quote:Thanks, is her comb smaller than other non broody hens of the same breed? My other NH hens have larger combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by