Broody hens?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EmsoffLambs, Dec 12, 2007.

1. EmsoffLambs

EmsoffLambs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2007
    Chilcoot, CA
    I would love to hatch some eggs with a broody hen. I have three light brahmas, 1 dark cornish, and 3 delawares. I've heard that the brahmas especially can go broody.

What have you brahma owners found? Do your hens tend to go broody often?

Also, they just started laying about a month ago. When might I expect for one to go broody? It's been well below freezing here for a few weeks now, but they get supplimental light to make 14 hours. Could it be anytime or will they wait until spring?

Thanks so much!

2. SloCrevs

SloCrevs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Central Coast, CA
    I have bantam brahmas, and I know they go broody constatly. Same with my cochins. Good luck! They both make very good mamas too.

3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    I used to have standard brahmas-and not a one went broody for me. I now only have bantams (at least until the spring). Buy some silkie bantams or some cochin bantams-both are known to want to hatch whatever comes in an egg shape. Of course, I have had silkies for a VERY long time, and have never had a faithful broody... Perhaps yours will be different though-my Brahmas were all hatchery stock and temperament varies strain to strain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by