Broody hens??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ella1989, May 8, 2011.

1. ella1989

ella1989 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    hello i have a broody hen and i'm coming up to the last 3 days and i was just wondering do you leave them to it and not touch them like an incubator or do you still take her off for her 10 minuites a day

Thankyou

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I always take them off until I hear cheeping. I check for new eggs from other hens everyday until hatch starts. But once the hatch starts, leave her alone.

3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Leave her alone, let them all figure it out. You may not get 100% hatch, but seldom do you even in an incubator. It is much better not to interfere.

I did lock out the layers away from her for about 12 hours. I just put out a temporary nesting box in the run, and left mama and babies in the coop.

Let the layers out the next morning to free range, put a cardboard box on the side, put some hay in it, and slid it into a cornor of the coop. Mama left her nest, took the babies out into the sun of the run, and went back early to the coop into the new nest that night. I let the layers back in. And then they were on their own.

NO reintroduction issues, worked fantastic for me. currently praying for a broody hen right NOW!

<rsK

4. shellyga

shellyga Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Milner
    Mrs. K

I too prayed for a broody hen.. and now I have THREE...lol
    Shelly

5. ella1989

ella1989 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Thank you everyone really helep [​IMG]