Broody hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Johnn, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    when you have a broody hen and set eggs under her do you have to do anything? or just let her so everything?

2. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    She will take care of everything.

I would think about whether you want to take the chicks to brood them, or let her do it.

We have had some hens that are good mothers, and some that just aren't.

Good luck either way.

3. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    ill just be letting myne do it because its her babys, i usually ahve more then 1 broody hen so id just give the other her chicks if she was no god but myne all seem very keen

4. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    You can let her take care of everything. I have two broodys raising chicks in the flock now. I let the moms sit on the eggs at first but ended up taking them away and incubating them inside and giving the chicks back to them when hatched, but I had issues with the moms getting up off the nest to eat and then someone else taking over the nestbox to lay. When mom got back she would go sit in another nest all day, then the hen that stole the nestbox, who wasn't broody, would go do her thing, leaving the eggs with no one sitting on them for the rest of the day. I've been lucky, both moms are excellent and raising the chicks with the flock so no intragration needed later.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  5. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Id probableys keep myne in the shed untill about 2 weeks old and try them out with the flock and if it dosent work il wait till they are big enough to run away

6. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    I just let her do all the work, she's got a nice enclosure and a new baby and and egg that should hatch later this week. I just made sure she had clean water and food and her enclosure was clean and i gave her extra love. She's a very good moma she's taking care of her new baby and still sitting on the egg. She had 5 under her but only hatched the rest were scrambled and didn't look like they developed past 7 days or so.

7. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    and also if she went with the rest of the flock wouldnt rats get the chiocks and go in the coop at night and eat them?

8. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I put my broody hen in nest inside a dog cage on the coop floor with food and water because the other hens were pushing her out of the nesting box and laying their eggs in her nest. One time, she got up for a break and went back to the wrong nest box and sat on some new eggs the other hens just laid. Giving her a private suite just made it easier for her and kept her protected. I like having it on the floor so when the babies hatch, they can't fall out of the nest box. I just open the cage door when the hatch is done and she decides when to take them out. Just can't get easier than mother nature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by