Broody hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kadjain, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

How long after brooding will a hen start laying again? I have hen who hatched out and is raising 4 chicks that are 1 1/2 month old now (so cute). I know the weather could also be affecting her but she hasn't layed an egg yet after brooding when she used to lay every other day consistently.

FYI: The hen that brooded was my Thai hen and she hatched out a RIR/EE cross, a L. Brahma/EE cross and what I think are 2 more Thai's. I initially put 8 eggs under her and she layed 2 more at the start of her brood for a total of 10. Only 5 hatched and of the 5, 4 survived.
    I know traditional Thai's aren't suppose to lay that many eggs. Someone who looked closely at her legs said she might have some EE in her.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Mine have started within a week or so of whenever they stopped mothering the chicks, and started chasing them away and roosting with the mature flock.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Depends on the hen. My first broody started back up at 5 weeks. My next broody was 9 weeks until she started laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by