Broody hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by trooper, Feb 22, 2012.

1. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG][​IMG] I need to apologize for putting this subject on the wrong post.I'm sorry.[​IMG]I Know that this has been asked before but here it goes again.What breed of hens are good as a broody.I am wanting to raise some completely natural and this is how to start.[​IMG]I really need advice from start to finish because I know very little about this.Do I need another house,How do I know when they are broody,How do I know which eggs she hatching and so forth.I'm going to order some peeps in about a week and I am just wandering.Any help is appreciated.Thanks[​IMG]

2. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

You can't beat silkie bantams for going broody and making great moms. It's usually best to separate them to a pen that will be safe for the little peeps to run around. You can easily move a broody at night and put eggs or newly hatched chicks under her. She will totally take care of the chicks, showing them what to eat and how to drink. It is so fun to watch their amazing mothering instincts. Some people recommend trimming the belly feathers of a silkie so the babies don't get tangled in them. I keep apple slices or raw squash next to my broody as many will not leave the nest to eat or drink.

3. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Thank you for the words of wisdom.I enjoy watching them growing when I get them as peeps,I know I'll enjoy them with learning from there adopted moms.[​IMG]

4. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    get silkies, any type of game hens or orientals, most of the heritage breeds can go broody too and cochins

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by