broody hens

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aprilschicks, Jan 15, 2013.

1. aprilschicks

aprilschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    Joshua tx
    hi i have two broody hens amd i whuold like to have them be mamas but i think i might have a problem seeing both these hens are useing the same nesting box shuold i pull one one set up another box ? i tried to seprate them and the one i put in a different nesting box stopped sitting on the eggs i had in the box and went back to the same nesting box that the other hen was in what shuold i do and will the mama hens fight over the babies once they hatch i needing some advice here on what to do here and there is a roo that runs with them shuold i pull him once babies are there help here first time dealing with broody hens and these hens are both silkies

2. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi,
    If I were you I would set up two separate pens for each broody. I have a broody currently with eggs in the middle of hatching. I put my broody away from my flock, and set up a pen for her in my garage. I set this up by using an old wardrobe with its doors off and I lay it on the ground on it's back. Then I put a small rabbit apex inside it so she could have her nest in there. Then I put food and water in and a heat bulb as its cold here. See pic..

[​IMG]

Move her and her eggs at nighttime and place her and her eggs on the new nest. She wont notice if it is done in the dark.
    If you keep your broody's with the flock, they will only be able to protect their babies if they are at the top of the hens pecking order. Otherwise the dominant hen could kill the chicks and so may the rooster. And also you are correct, the two broodys could fight over the babies.

3. aprilschicks

aprilschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2012
    Joshua tx
    thank u so much that helps going to get there pens set up and get them settled tonight agian thanks so much

4. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

No prob, glad I could help. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by