broody how long?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spoolin, Apr 2, 2009.

1. spoolin

spoolin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    i got a broody hen on monday, and she started to lay on tuesday and since then she has been laying on some plastic easter eggs. i am getting some fertile eggs on saturday, and how long can she go brrody for? until the eggs hatch?

2. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i did the same thing, she started setting a couple days ago. I took them and gave her some plastics. Today I set her up in her brooder and gave her real eggs. I think if it was only a couple days it should be ok. I think she should sit till they hatch if she is determined.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Do you mean she began to lay herself on a nest with plastic eggs starting on Tues? Or did she lay her own egg in the nest? If she's begun to brood, she'll be all right until you get fertile eggs to put under her this weekend. And then the chicks should hatch 20-21 days after that. I wish her & you success!

4. spoolin

spoolin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    Quote:yes she started to lay by herself on the nest on tuesday with the plastic eggs, she has not layed an egg yet, she's in "broody" mode.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by