Broody how long?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2wheelsdaily, Jul 25, 2011.

1. 2wheelsdaily

2wheelsdaily Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have 2 chickens that have been broody for 3 or 4 weeks, one Silkie and one Maran, and it just dawned on me I should have put some fertilized eggs under them (I don't have a rooster). Am I too late now to buy some eggs and put under them?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    You're not too late, they will continue to sit. BUT how is their weight? And the heat? You can always slip day old chicks under them.

3. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

No, but if you do, you might want to be prepared in case your broodies get decide to stop. Do you have an incubator?

You could also just put regular unfertilized eggs or even wooden eggs.

4. reallynewatthis

reallynewatthis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    Kenmore
    Our Maran just broke her broody cycle after about 3 weeks. It didn't take much encouragement, she just up and spent the day out of the coop yesterday. Finally!! Rather than give her an egg to sit on, we just kept taking eggs away from her, and she eventually gave up. Or, it was three weeks and time to be done.

5. 2wheelsdaily

2wheelsdaily Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2009
    South Georgia
    Thanks for the replies, no I don't have an incubator, maybe I should have one as a backup

6. Country Heart

Country Heart City Girl With A

Since they have already been sitting for so long, it might be best to give them day old (magic) chicks and let them move on to the next stage of motherhood. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by