Broody in Fall?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by shanshan51, Sep 14, 2011.

1. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    I am curious if I left eggs in the nest boxes if it could spur a hen to become broody right now. I know it is fall and all but I have a couple hens who come running at me when I go to collect the eggs. They do not chase me or peck at me but they look at me like please please please leave my eggs alone.

Just curious as I would love a broody hen!

2. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Hens can go broody at anytime, but Spring and early summer are probably the most common times. I had 4 cochins broody between Dec. 15th and the end of January this year.

I have a feeling they are just curious about what you are doing or hoping you are bringing them treats. Whenever my hens go broody, they refuse to get off the nest, regardless of the number of eggs in there. They will even sit on an empty nest when they are broody. It would not hurt to try to leave fake eggs to encourage broodiness, but it might not work.

If you want a broody hen, buy a Cochin![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  3. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Hens go broody when THEY decide it is time, and it is usually the MOST inconvenient time for YOU! A couple of years ago when I was just getting into chickens, I had two hens who decided to go broody in December. I was planning on breaking them, but didn't have a cage to set them up in, so I kept putting off getting it done. I figured the eggs weren't viable anyway because I would go to the hen house and find the broodies setting on the wrong eggs all the time (this is Texas, but even here in December it can get pretty cold). I would take the new eggs out and put their eggs back under them. I had the plan to set them up in a cage the day after Christmas that year. The temperatures at the time were high teens at night, probably in the 30's during the day. Went out on the 26th of December, and hear little peeps under the momma. We were TOTALLY not prepared for new chicks since I was so sure they weren't viable. Guess who had two mommas and their chicks in the bathtub for a week until we would prepare them a nursery coop outside! That was my first broody experience, and since them I have become in awe of what a momma hen can do to get her chicks raised up. I let them set on eggs whatever time of year they want, figuring momma knows best. Of course, my opinion might be different if I lived farther north.

4. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Quote:I agree!

5. SebrightLuver

SebrightLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    I have three broodies right now, 2 silkies and a cochin with chicks. They go broody whenever they want.

6. shanshan51

shanshan51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Vacaville, CA
    That is awesome. I ordered a 5 silkies, 6 mottled houdan, and blue laced wyandotte, which are due to hatch in 10 days. I however would like a mama hen to do the work if possible. It is still in the 80-90's here so I am hoping one of my Austerlops or something else decides to go broody!

7. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    X2 about if you want a broody, get a cochin. I have two and they are the broody queens! I am constantly breaking them up. Ugh!

8. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    Ive got three broodies right now too. A cochin, a RIR, and a California White. (The CW is a proven good mom, so before you say somthing like 'dont let her sit, she'll be a bad mom' just accept shes kinda a freak [​IMG] )
    Both the Cochin and the CW went broody once this year. You just cant control these things. Australorps like going broody too, so good luck!

9. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by