Broody in heat wave...107 F today...will the chicks hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Stef in Davis CA, May 18, 2009.

1. Stef in Davis CA

Stef in Davis CA Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Riverside, CA
    What are the chances of my broody hatching chicks after this heat wave? Over 100 yesterday and today we reached 107! She is on day 11 today on 8 fertile eggs and I don't know exactly how hot she was...she is in a shaded nook in the run. I didn't realize exactly how hot it was getting til I checked the news today (I was out of town yesterday). So this afternoon, I put a fan on her, but I don't know how much that helped. She was panting on and off and alternating pancake pose with standing above her clutch. She seemed a lot less upset than the other chickens who were drooping around panting too. Thanks! I guess time will tell...but I'd be interested to know if others have had successful hatches in high heat.

2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Interesting thread you have started hear. Sorry I can't be of any help, but I completely understand that 100 degree weather her in San Antonio, Tx

I Hope someone posts something from their own experience! Please keep us updated on how the hatch goes as well! [​IMG]

Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Stef in Davis CA

Dec 6, 2008
    Riverside, CA
    I will let you all know how it goes! It's funny to be reading old posts about broodies getting too cold and eggs cooling off, cause mine are getting baked! [​IMG]

I have never candled before, but I will try tomorrow on day 12.

4. simplyscrambled

simplyscrambled Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Hi Stef! I'm from Davis too, so I melted today too, just like your broody! Thank goodness it'll be cooling off through the week...

5. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Looks like a few of us are waiting on replies to this post... I don't have eggs, but I do have 10 black chicks that are ready to go outside and it is hot here too. I let them outside a few days ago and had to bring them back inside to the A/C'd house to cool down.

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    The air layer inside/between her feathers buffers in both directions, good insulation always does. So a hen does mitigate spikes, just as she would very low temps.

7. Stef in Davis CA

Dec 6, 2008
    Riverside, CA
    It's nice to hear from all the other hot weather people. I'm not sure what to do, except wait for 10 more days and see if there are babies! I'll post on here what I find! Thanks for all the comments, I like the idea that her insulating feathers might actually help the eggs stay cooler, cause that gives me hope!

8. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Got some chickies??? Me too! LOL. I'm running a fan and misters to keep the chooks a bit cooler. Everyone is doing faceplants in this heat! Thankfully it cools off tomorrow! V.

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I'm in South Florida & have observed hens incubating eggs during heat waves and during our occasional freezes. It's impressive to see these little bird-brained hens figuring out how to regulate the temps of their eggs, either pressing down flat & rarely taking breaks in the cold, or standing up over the eggs and taking longer breaks during the heat.

If your hen seems terribly distressed from the heat you can continue the fan, otherwise, just make sure she has sufficient shade & water to drink & she should be fine. Somewhere deep in her instincts are lessons her great-great-great-great jungle-bird grandhens learned ages ago in some tropical forest.

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    If her eggs are on or very near the ground, the earth will be cooler than the air, and may help keep them from overheating. I would think so, anyway. Best of luck, I hope all turns out well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by