Broody in January in Wisconsin?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kneit099, Jan 21, 2012.

1. kneit099

kneit099 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Hartford, WI
    OMG!

One of my cubalaya hens went broody! I was in awe...it's below 0 and she went broody...

Is this normal?? I even managed to sneak another egg under her without her caring!

Let's hope she can hatch them!

2. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I don't know if that is normal for that breed, but it is not really very smart on her part. When those chicks hatch out in February, they will want to climb back into those eggs to get away from the Wisconsin winter. :)

3. amberflea

amberflea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2010
    Central WI
    I had a couple go broody also (I live in WI) mine are bantams... my saying is "if their laying eggs, they can go broody", IMO I would wait until it warms up... what ya gonna do with them for the rest of the cold months?? Unless you have a heated coop?? Or don't mind house chicks for 3 months...[​IMG]

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Hey, it happens [​IMG]...I have a FCBM that's been broody the entire winter! If you let her hatch out, those chicks will huddle under her when they get chilly. I'm giving mine chicks the first week in Feb.just to break this stubborn broodiness in her! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by