Broody in the Dog's Bed

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by pgpoultry, Aug 15, 2010.

1. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Well, I guess it had to happen!
    My Dark Brahma hen has been sleeping close to the dog overnight for a few weeks and has been laying her eggs in his bed.
    Today she has decided to go broody there!
    The dog's bed (currently occupied by my hen) is the one at the back.....I have given the dog another bed in front of her [​IMG]
    [​IMG].

This must class as one of the most unusual sites for a broody to set [​IMG],

Sandie

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  2. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    awww haha thats too funny! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Oh the indignity of it all. [​IMG] What a good pup for sharing his best bed. [​IMG]

4. chica57

chica57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    [​IMG] Thought I've seen it all!!!! What a good dog though-she looks a little put out but will tolerate it!!!! [​IMG]

5. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Quote:Oh, the indignations one must suffer.................

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    So glad the dog was willing to share! Will you try to move the hen to a more suitable nest?

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    That is so cute & Funny! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. sixlittlechicks09

sixlittlechicks09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Wyalusing
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Oh goodness! That dog looks SO SAD! Poor dear. [​IMG] For the pup for being such a good sport! HAha, or smartly fearing the broody hen!

9. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    That is such a funny heart warming story. Thanks for sharing. Oh I love it when animals across species learn to co-exist and live in peace. That is a really neat thing. Imagine if she hatched her eggs in his bed, what would he think? Oh My.

10. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I've been out to look early this morning and they were both fast asleep.

The hen (Mrs Grey) decided to seek out Jared's (the dog's) bed about 8 weeks ago following a fox arrack. We kept her indoors at night for the first week or so, after which she never went to the coop at night, but slept close to the dog on his outside bed a few feet away from his inside bed (pictured).

She is a very placid hen....barely even a squawk when she is broody and never any aggression. Jared is a confirmed chicken protector and has been sharing his outside bed with chickens whenever it rains.

I think Mrs Grey is in the safest place she could be at the moment and I will leave her there for a few days at least before moving her (or may even lat her hatch here). Poor old Jared's bed may get a bit messy though,

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by