Broody in Winter???Pic DISTURBING UPDATE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvchicks8, Dec 11, 2010.

1. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Is that "normal"? My chickens have never done this before, but I am eggcited to see what this baby will look like..

Dad
    [​IMG]

Momma older pics she is a little fuller now but you ge the idea:)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2010
  2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I have a broody now sitting on 12 eggs. Not sure if it's normal or not. It's my first experience!!

3. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    Quote:good luck hatching:)

4. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I think it is normal. I have one broody right now. I am letting her sit on the eggs to see if they hatch, as a rooster had been coming over and visiting mt girls for about 3 days in a row. Not sure if he bred them or not.
    Since there are many loose chickens in my area, and there are chicks at all times of the year, I think that broodiness is normal for any time of the year. Once a hens chicks are a little older, they lay more eggs and sit again.

5. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    It's snowing and cold in our area (NE Ohio). I have one hen whose breed is a broody type. If she goes Broody, wouldn't it be too cold of a season for baby chicks? I'm thinking about waiting until spring to let her hatch any.

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have 5 chicks who a broody hatched two weeks ago, another broody, and a third one who appears to be going broody today.

And I'm only getting 2-3 eggs a day, what with weather and moulting, never mind broodiness.

7. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Quote:I really have NO experience with snow. A hen and her chicks keep one another very warm. Maybe, they could be brought into an indoor area. Or, just wait until the weather gets warmer, that may be easier.

Good luck!

8. SimplySplendidSilkies

SimplySplendidSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Adairsville, GA
    I have 3 broody silkies sitting on golf balls [​IMG] I wonder if they can hatch these out! [​IMG] I have tried breaking them and put all chickens in the coop at night but first thing in the am they run back to the golf balls.

9. luvchicks8

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    I just got home from my sons Birthday party ALL my chickens were out and the coop locked behind them and all my eggs are gone!!! My broody is pacing I don't know what to do here my DH is installing his game cam right now.

10. ZombieChickens

ZombieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

What?!?!?! Do you have any creepy neighbors???? Sorry to hear about this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by