Broody Indian runner

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by froggie71, May 5, 2009.

1. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Ok, I've read that rarely do Indian runners go broody. Well we have one that is, and not only is she broody, but she is always found sitting on the nest of guinea hen eggs. Won't she be surprised when her babies don't look like, run like, or swim like her? [​IMG]

2. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    Well, my friend's TOM TURKEY is sitting on a nest of pilgrim eggs. He actually chased the goose off of her nest so he could take it over. She had to go build another one. Now, he won't leave the nest for anything. I'm waiting for photos that I can post here.

None of my runners are broody, but they love to bury their eggs in the mud.

3. My runner has been broody for about a week now, sitting on a dozen eggs. I think they will hatch around Memorial Day if all goes well. [​IMG]
    This is my first experience with broody hens and hatching eggs. I'm wondering if I should candle the eggs sometime?

4. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    I guess I should mention that some of the ducks are laying their eggs in the nest with the guinea eggs, but we take those. If we don't the guineas peck holes in the eggs. And that the guineas and the runner take turns on the nest. It will be interesting to see if any hatch as these are our first guinea eggs. We have another nest of duck eggs that the girls have made in the run in the sand. Again will be interesting to see if any hatch as this is the first eggs being left out there. The rest of our hatching eggs are in the bator and should be hatching this weekend if all goes well.

5. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    both of my runner had short bouts of broodiness. I don't have a male so i took the eggs away and they stopped. They both built a nest together and sat on it together. weird....

6. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    it seems as though tis the year for broody runners, my fawn and white, stencil has had the broody bug BAD since I got her, both she and Akai her blue sister, LOVE eggs, and will sit just ONE given the chance, I wish they'd brood their own and not everyone elses!

right now Stencil is helping Tal, the mallard with her nest, they take turns sitting, one gets off the other is right there to take the others place, and so on, it's kinda cute, they've been sitting for about a week now I do believe, so hopefully by the week of the 20th we'll have babies!...I wonder who'll take on the role of momma???

7. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Thought I'd post a pic of both our Runner girls sharing a nest. Here are Michaela and Bolt....

[​IMG]

8. DuckFanatic

DuckFanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    AZ
    Aww how cute, froggie, you should get them a drake and let them hatch out ducklings! My buff girl is sitting on a single egg.. shows how broody she is! From what I have heard, buffs are one of the broodiest duck breeds. Her duckling is due to hatch on the 4th.. the daddy is my fawn and white runner!

9. froggie71

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Oh, we do have a drake. And believe me, he loves all 8 of our girls. Before the ducks went broody, we took 2 days worth of eggs (16) and put them in the bator. All 16 were fertile and all 16 hatched! We kept 4 1 full f/w runner, 2 blue swedish/runner mixes and 1 khaki campbell/runner mix.

10. thedoors5to1

thedoors5to1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Quote:cute picture, and i never thought of it as wierd but i guess it is lol, [​IMG] i have 2 mallard runners and a white runner who all share a nest together. they as a team actually hatched out a few babies last year in the middle of winter! it was january! i was stumped.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by