BROODY INSANE,Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rebel-rousing-at-night, Mar 29, 2011.

1. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a broody that has 2 chicks that she hatched,both about 10 days old.

I put her in an X-large dog crate.She is very protective of the chicks which means I can hardly clean the crate. I hate to say this but I have only cleaned it out one time.

Here's why. I have the crate on something that makes me need a step ladder (use first step) to reach in there to get her and the chicks out. The one time I cleaned it she charged after me and I almost fell off the ladder. [​IMG] That was not the main problem.After she did that she went nuts in the crate doing like a hillbilly flat foot dance and half tromped and slung those chicks. [​IMG]

I did get her out next try. Last night I shined a flashlight in there just to have a look at the chicks. Instantly she went nuts again and half stomped those chicks again.I very quickly got the light off.What in the h **l is wrong with that crazy thing? What do I do? I have to clean their place. I might ad that they are in my basement where I have a couple of fluorescent lights that are on all the time because lights are an enemy of mold.

Anybody have any suggestions? I don't have a tranquilizer gun. [​IMG]

ETA: I am going to work in about an hour so can't respond at this time.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't keep chickens or chicks in the house, so my answer may not really help you.

I don't know why you have them in the house. It is possible you have a valid reason to not put them in the coop, but as a minimum I suggest moving the dog crate to the coop if you can. She will keep them warm. That should not be an issue. Your coop size may be.

After a couple of days in the coop, open the door and let her raise them with the flock. Again, you might have a valid reason to not want to do this, but it sounds like she will be very protective of her babies. Not having enough room for Mama to work with is certainly a valid reason. I suspect she would take them back into the dog crate at night if it is still available, but they should stay out of it during the day.

I'm assuming you have a flock outside. One problem with doing this is that the chicks should not eat the layer feed because of the extra calcium. I feed Grower to all of them and provide oyster shell on the side when I have young chicks in the flock. I also built this and put one of those long red feeders for chicks in it. The chicks can enter from the ends. They get the same feed as everyone else, but this way the chicks can eat without the adults bothering them.

[​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I had a dog like that would go nuts and stomp all over her pups when anyone came near (she was hyper friendly), so I took them away and hand raised them. She did flatten one the first night so I felt compelled to remove immediately. If you have a brooder or can assemble one I would take the chicks away and put mama back in the coop. If she goes this bonkers the chicks are gonna learn from her.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:That is SUCH a good solution for a problem I have been noodling about without much progress. Thank you, Ridgerunner!

5. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks Ridgerunner for a reply.

I guess I have several reasons to have taken the broody and chicks from the coop.

1. The morning before the chick hatched I was at the coop before daylight. I had stepped outside but the door was open about 2".Just as I was going to open up the door I saw my roo about 4' in the air and as I got the door open I saw him with a hen's feather in is mouth. I couldn't see which hen but he is 10 mos. old and I thought he's gone nuts. I went into the coop and grabbed my shovel and herded him outside. I didn't hit him but I let him know I was serious and when I saw he didn't want to look me in the eye I went about my business as usual in the coop. This did give me concern for the chicks. But I think now that broody would give him a run for his money. [​IMG] The hens have been moulting for a couple of weeks and the group has seemed a bit off.

2.The layer feed is a concern.

3. I have had a heated bucket for water as the winter is rough here. I didn't know how I would keep the chicks available water.

4. yes my coop is not so big.

5.The chicken yard is a nice size for them, however the wire is welded 2"x4" so that means the chickie poos would be able to go out of the yard without their mom's protection.

6.I have a cat named Jonny that puts me in unfamiliar territory.He is a killing machine. As a previous cat breeder I have had my share of experience with cats but they have always respected my rabbits and chickens and have been together many times without incident. This included Maine Coons and Russian Siberians that have strong hunting instincts. I don't trust Jonny he is capable of things that haven't happened before.

Yes, I know I can put chicken wire around the bottom of the chicken yard and I do plan to do that. It is not an easy task since we have had so many days of rain,snow and up to 65 mi. an hour wind gusts. Maybe we will get a break in the next few days and I can take care of that. Oh,I just remembered.Sat.is the first day of trout season and as my 80+ year old uncle said tonight...he only remembers one time that the first day of trout season was nice. [​IMG]

You suggested I put the dog crate with mom and chicks in the coop if possible.To be honest it is bigger than my door opening and I am unable to handle it by myself if it would go through.

I do really like the ideal that you have. It gives me an ideal that I think I could work out. Some of my nest boxes are floor level and they are roomy. I think I could modify one into a type of creep feeder with food and water .

I hope this will work for me. I know I was not prepared for this situation but the temptation to have some baby chickens hatch here was too much for me. lol

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I did not see your response yesterday. Somehow it was marked as read although I had not read it. I think you have some legitimate concerns. Hopefullly you can work it out.

1. The morning before the chick hatched I was at the coop before daylight. I had stepped outside but the door was open about 2".Just as I was going to open up the door I saw my roo about 4' in the air and as I got the door open I saw him with a hen's feather in is mouth. I couldn't see which hen but he is 10 mos. old and I thought he's gone nuts. I went into the coop and grabbed my shovel and herded him outside. I didn't hit him but I let him know I was serious and when I saw he didn't want to look me in the eye I went about my business as usual in the coop. This did give me concern for the chicks. But I think now that broody would give him a run for his money. The hens have been moulting for a couple of weeks and the group has seemed a bit off.

Most broodies will protect their chicks and most other chickens will not go out of their way to harm the chicks. But some broodies do not do that good a job on protecting their babies and sometimes another chicken will try to hurt them. They are living animals. I cannot predict how your specific chickens will react.

2.The layer feed is a concern.

Instead of Layer, feed them all Starter or grower or flock raiserr or something like that so you do not have the extra calcium. Then provide oyster shell on the side. The hens that are laying and need the oyster shell will eat it and the others will leave it alone. I usually just give Starter for the first bag then use grower, but if your hens are mlting, the extra protein in Starter or Flock Raiser may do them some good.

3. I have had a heated bucket for water as the winter is rough here. I didn't know how I would keep the chicks available water.

That's a hard one. I'd have thought you are about out of that freezing weather in Appalachia most days. They don't drink at night, so nights are not a problem. My only suggestion is to change it a few times each day if it is freezing.

4. yes my coop is not so big.

As long as you do not leave them locked in there for a long time after they wake up, that is probably not a huge problem. It does depend some on the personality of your chickens. Sometimes my broodies keep the chicks in a corner on the ground overnight and sometimes they take them in a low nest. But my coop is fairly large so that is different to you.

5.The chicken yard is a nice size for them, however the wire is welded 2"x4" so that means the chickie poos would be able to go out of the yard without their mom's protection.

Yes, definitely a concern. I put chicken wire around the bottom of my run to keep the chicks in and keep the adult chickens from reaching outside to eat where a raccoon or something could get their head. I think this is a big issue.

6.I have a cat named Jonny that puts me in unfamiliar territory.He is a killing machine. As a previous cat breeder I have had my share of experience with cats but they have always respected my rabbits and chickens and have been together many times without incident. This included Maine Coons and Russian Siberians that have strong hunting instincts. I don't trust Jonny he is capable of things that haven't happened before.

Cats usually do not bother grown chickens, but they are a danger to chicks. I'd certainly be concerned.

Hopefully your creep feeder idea will work. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by