Broody is "vomiting"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lifetime chicken lover, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    Hello chicken folk!
    So I have my first broody, who happened to start setting perfectly with the moon on the 7th (according to farmers almanac)-chicks due to hatch the 28th or 29th. She started getting a big soft belly soon after setting on her eggs, which I thought was normal for a broody so she could keep her eggs warm.
    Yesterday I noticed she was kind of puking up a foul-smelling yellowish colored fluid. I looked it up on BYC and it sounds like sour crop. I've been massaging her crop and turning her upside down to help her throw it all up, but it just seems to come back right away. So my question is what else can I do for her? I've read I should give her apple cider vinegar with her water, but then another forum said I should NOT do that. I gave her some grit, which she isn't eating. I gave her some BOSS and cracked corn, which she ate this morning. How dangerous is this to her health? She seems to be getting off of her eggs more often than usual, but other than that she seems ok, her comb is still a nice reddish color and her eyes look fine. Someone help me! I feel so bad for her! What do I do? Any and all advice is welcome, since I normally go to the feed store for advice, but they had no idea.

Hello???? No one can help me??!??? Please?!?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like she has a case of soured crop. I am not familiar with broodies yet, although I have had a few soured and slow moving crops. This thread was going on a while back and it is very informative about what to give for soured crops:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6869468

Also, I have used some of the receipts from this link with success:

http://justcockatiels.weebly.com/sour-and-slow-crop-remedies.html

I have had much success with the "spice receipe" minus the garlic. A full medicine dropper a few time a day should help. Ginger is great for an upset stomach which both my hubby and I used all the time. You do not have to remove the contents of the crop. Even a 1/2 tab of Alka-Seltzer in a glass of water would help if you don't have anything else.

If all else fails, you might have to remove her eggs to get her up and moving around, which could be causing the soured crop. Good luck!

3. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    Thank you so much, twocrows!! I've been looking all day for some answers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by