Broody Isa Brown??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cluckingcanadian, Apr 27, 2009.

1. cluckingcanadian

cluckingcanadian Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    I checked my ladies around 8pm and noticed two of them in the nesting box. I let them be and thought maybe they are having a late lay (usually they are all done before noon). I went back around 1130pm with flashlight in hand and they are still sitting there. Usually they are all up in the roosts once they decide to come in from a day outside.

Are they going broody?? Is it ok for me to reach in and see how many eggs they have?? Can I add eggs to them?? If they are broody, when should I seperate them from the flock?? Is this common for the Isa Brown breed??

So many questions.

TIA,
    Danica

2. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    If she is really broody she will stay there during the day. The ISA's are not known for going broody, but anything could happen. It may be they were sleeping in the nest box. Good luck!

3. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    If you want to use them let them set a couple days and them move to a more secluded spot like a small pen.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    These sites may help if they are really broody. I'd be really suspicious of that with two Isa Browns going broody at the same time. They may be just sleeping in the nesting box. If there is normal poo in the nesting box, I'd think they are just sleeping there.

You do need to check under them at least once daily and remove any fresh eggs as long as they are where the other hens can lay with them. Mark any eggs with a black magic marker that you want to leave under them, but do not let fresh eggs stay.

Good luck!!

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/broody-hens-1.html

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=162759

5. cluckingcanadian

cluckingcanadian Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    So I checked this morning and one was off her nest however the other was still there. I filled up the feeders with food and the remaining one hopped off. I felt her eggs and they were very warm. I added some eggs to the clutch and fresh straw. I came back (from other coop chores) to find a hen walking the boxes. She found the box with the eggs and climbed in. I watched and she used her beak to push/turn the eggs underneath her. I plan on checking her again this afternoon. I'm guessing if all the eggs are warm and she is till there this is a good sign she has gone broody??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by