Broody isn't keeping baby chicks fed!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bragabit, Sep 1, 2010.

1. bragabit

bragabit Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I went to check on my broody hens. Both have 5 chicks each free ranging with other egg laying hens. I found one chick wet under one of the hens. Brought it inside and blow dried it until it was fluffy. Then put it in the brooder with the same age chicks. Poor thing, its crop is empty and it is HALF the size of the other chicks. They all hatched on the same day. Its a white Orpington yet it is smaller than the white silkie chicks that were born the same day.

Now I am worried about all the chicks out in the backyard. Should I take them away from my broody hens and bring them to the brooder?? Do broody chicks not eat as much as chicks that are in a brooder with fresh food and water available at all times??

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Any idea why the chick was wet? Could be just a weak chick that isn`t gonna make it, whether with a hen, or brooder. Need more info. Chicks with a hen are usually more robust than brooder chicks..........Pop

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hen chicks are usually tougher and grow slower, often becuase they get exposed to things early and anyone who was weak never hatched and didn't make it the first few days like they might have been able to do if in a brooder.

4. bragabit

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    I have no idea why it was wet. I have several fruit trees with a hose under them with drizzling water. Or it could of gotten in the water dish for the adult hens. Should I check the crops on the other chicks with the broody hens?

5. bragabit

Mar 26, 2009
    Southern Utah
    These chicks are all about 1 week old today, forgot to mention that.

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Quote:Chicks that are free ranging all day with their mamas are getting a more steady, intermittent intake of food, not sitting and eating food they don't have to work for, like brooder chicks. Because of this, i wouldn't expect that spot checking for full crops is necessarily going to give you accurate information. She's teaching them to free range. It's a completely different process.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by