Broody issues

LittleBigBantam

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
I have a orpington hen who isnt working with me, she likes to sit on clutches of eggs then abandon them when she feels like it.:he I've just started getting her to sit on a clutch of my bantam/rare egg layers, and I got back from work today and she was on a diffrent clutch. It was hot out so they were relatively warm. They just started developing the blood vessels. How cold can they get for a slight chance on them hatching?:jumpy

sourland

Broody Magician
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
May 3, 2009
New Jersey
:welcome If your eggs were viable to begin with, they should be fine. You need to come up with some method to keep her away from other nest sites.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I have a orpington hen who isnt working with me, she likes to sit on clutches of eggs then abandon them when she feels like it.:he I've just started getting her to sit on a clutch of my bantam/rare egg layers, and I got back from work today and she was on a diffrent clutch. It was hot out so they were relatively warm. They just started developing the blood vessels. How cold can they get for a slight chance on them hatching?:jumpy
Then don't give that bird eggs ;)
Hope you have an incubator ready to go.
Might work on confining bird to a place with only one nest and no other birds to interfere.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @LittleBigBantam
Might want to start a new thread here to tell us about yourself and get some navigation guidance:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/new-member-introductions.44/

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-9-10_18-28-8.png

LittleBigBantam

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
Thanks for the help! But I dont know how many hours they sat. I'm at work for roughly 7 hours. The eggs were room temperature when I got back. I followed the advice and got her contained to the chick coop (a small coop I put young chicks in). And now shes staying on them. But will the eggs hatch?

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Thanks for the help! But I dont know how many hours they sat. I'm at work for roughly 7 hours. The eggs were room temperature when I got back. I followed the advice and got her contained to the chick coop (a small coop I put young chicks in). And now shes staying on them. But will the eggs hatch?
Good chance...only time will tell.
Candle them in a few days and see what's up.

LittleBigBantam

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
Update! 8 out of the 12 eggs are developing great. I even saw a few squirming around in their shell! I have about 2 weeks left to go. I'm gonna candle them two times before the 18th so I know which ones to remove

Pretty Birds

Crowing
May 13, 2019
Maine, USA
Update! 8 out of the 12 eggs are developing great. I even saw a few squirming around in their shell! I have about 2 weeks left to go. I'm gonna candle them two times before the 18th so I know which ones to remove
Please keep us updated! I just had a pullet hatch six chicks a week ago for the first time. Very exciting!

Top Bottom