Broody Issues

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chookies123, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Chookies123

Chookies123 In the Brooder

Feb 23, 2014
    Hi All,

I am currently having issues with my half broody Silver Penciled Wyandotte. One morning i found her sitting on 5 eggs. I kept checking on her but she would get off the nest and then act as normal. I had to put her back on and she stayed there but then left 2 hours later. This has continued for 1 day now. She is 8 months old and only started laying 2 weeks ago. What can I do to keep her on the eggs. She is definitely broody because she is showing all the signs.

Please Help Me

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    From the sounds of it she is not 'broody' .. she's a brand new laying hen and is obviously confused....it happens with new layers. I'm curious why you "had to put her back on" ....why did you do that? Now if she is truly broody she wouldn't leave the clutch at all except to get feed/water.

3. Chookies123

Feb 23, 2014
    When ever I take an egg from her she growls at me and pecks me then I put the egg back infront of her and she tucks it under her body. And now she hasn't got off the nest since I put food and water in front of her. And I did not put her back on the eggs, I showed her the eggs and she walked into the nest and made a nest with all the eggs under her.

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Crowing

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Hmmmmm...sounds like she could be broody then. I'd say leave her alone and let her do her thing...worse thing that could happen is she won't go the distance...best thing would be new chicks! Best of luck!

5. Chookies123

Feb 23, 2014
    Yes she still hasn't left the nest and I will move her into the broody pen tonight and put some fertile eggs under her. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: