Broody jail gone wrong (in a kind of cute way)

humblehillsfarm

Crazy chicken lady
Mar 27, 2020
Southwestern Pennsylvania
My Coop
My Coop
I use a brooder pen to put the broody ladies in broody jail. Unfortunately it’s seen better days, and tonight my broody made her grand escape. I found her roosting in the dark on a chain saw handle. During the day I put her in an enclosure outside with the rest of the flock, I just don’t feel safe leaving her there at night so she only comes in at night. She’s on day 2 of broody jail. Still very broody.
937F3B1B-F90C-4B72-A8EF-F04B07586DEB.jpeg

Attachments

• 44C28E79-5698-46D7-AE93-17EB83814AF2.jpeg
    44C28E79-5698-46D7-AE93-17EB83814AF2.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Broody girl went back to the roost with her friends last night. Took only three days and two nights to break her, but I caught her on day one of broodiness. I give her a month before she's back at it again! She will be two years old on May 25th and has been broody five times now and successfully raised two clutches.

Ha!
Little stinker.
Well, she is roosting :D

Get a wire crate.
I’ve been on the lookout for a used dog kennel for a while now. I just wasn’t expecting her to go broody in December. She raised two broods this summer and just weaned her last bunch about a month ago. After the holidays if I don’t find a used kennel, I’ll buy a crate.

I’ve been on the lookout for a used dog kennel for a while now. I just wasn’t expecting her to go broody in December. She raised two broods this summer and just weaned her last bunch about a month ago. After the holidays if I don’t find a used kennel, I’ll buy a crate.
I found a nice wire crate at goodwill. Maybe check garage sales in nicer areas of the community?

Sweetie!

if she's not safe, move her if you can.

Funny she's roosting and hasn't made a nest behind the lawnmower or something, I know thats what mine would do.
It is pitch black in the garage, so I think she found the roost purely by accident! I was thinking that night she may have been safe to go back with her friends in the coop, but the next day I put her back outside in a small run I use for emergencies for one more day, to be safe.

In terms of safety, the whole flock free ranges for now and is locked in a coop at night. I use a small enclosure with hardware cloth to isolate chickens as needed. While there is a coop attached to the enclosure, it did not prove safe enough to deter a bear and I lost a hen kept inside the coop when the bear removed the roof and side walls that were held together with 4" wood screws. The small coop may have been racoon proof at night, but not bear proof.

If you was close id give you the one I pulled from the neighbors trash! Lol it just need put back together. I have 2 many to worry about fixing it!

Back
Top Bottom