Broody jail worked!

Darlasmum

Songster
13 Years
Aug 2, 2009
La Crescenta, CA
I live in the city and have three chickens and one laying box-in which the 3 happily take turns laying. MY 8mo old BO went broody 7 weeks ago. I read up and tryd breaking her by removing her repeatedly off the nest(she went right back), removing the nest box at night (she slept where the box had been), closing the house door(she stood all day next to the door), putting her out to free range(she'd scratch around for an hour then go back to the box), dunking her bottom in a bucket of water (didnt phase her). I really thought of caging her as a last resort-it just seemed mean, but she was getting so skinny and her comb was pale and shriveled. BUT IT WORKED!! When i put in the cage she screamed something awful, flung herself around, tipped over the food and water and generally went had herself a full bloom fit. After 2 days in the cage i let her out in the yard w/ her mates and then held my breath last night- around 10pm i went out to check her- she was on the roost- and this morning is in the run!!! Hope she is broken for good. Good luck to all of you out there w/ broodys, and thanks to all those who posted advice re broodys.
001.jpg

Quote:
that's about the only way to do it...and let me say those hens of yours are Gorgeous. it looks like a post card.

Princess--no, no eggs while in jail. I expect it will take a couple of weeks before she kicks back in.
D'Angelo- what kind words. Daisy 'the broody' is on the right. You cant tell, but under those feathers she is a bunch of bones! Her weight loss is esp noticable looking at her straight on.

clap.gif
I'm so glad it worked, for you AND her. I let my girl sit for 23 days, and she was a feather by the time I broke her (two days later). So I can't imagine how much weight your poor girl lost. I'm sure it feels good to see her out and about and EATING to put that weight back on. It took my girl at least two full weeks before we started seeing eggs again.

Back
Top Bottom