Broody Khaki Campbell duck - will she need help?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by paxicotrader, May 13, 2011.

1. paxicotrader

paxicotrader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    We have a 1 year old Khaki female duck that has all of a sudden become very broody. She made a nest, collected her eggs in it and for 1 week has been sitting on them. I have two questions:

1. To successfully hatch, how much time does a duck actually have to spend on the nest in the 28 days or so of gestation? (she leaves the nest only occasionally, maybe just once a day)
    2. Will we need to provide food and water right next to the nest?

Thanks!

2. srsmith69

srsmith69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Oklahoma
    I had a KC go broody this year. She was off the next for a longer period each day than my Muscovy broodies, but she sat for the full 28 days. As soon as her's hatched, the ducklings left the nest without mom and joined the flock of just hatched muscovys and their mothers. Khaki Campbell hen didn't like it, waited less than a day for the rest of her eggs to hatch, and then she wasn't broody anymore. Muscovy hens raised her ducklings and she is back running with the drake. She'll get off the nest as she needs to to eat, drink, and POOP!!!!. Some days she was off the nest for a couple hours. The rest of the KC's eggs that didn't hatch, turned out to be Muscovy, and most of them hatched in my incubator the next weekend.

3. paxicotrader

paxicotrader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Thanks for the information! We'll keep watching her closely. She's in the chicken run, which is very spacious but all fenced in, so she's secure and the nest, too. I'll keep food and water nearby and keep my fingers crossed. I would love to see some little brown Khaki babies hatch this spring!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by