Broody killing and eating other hen's chick?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kaitie09, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I was away for the weekend when my house-sitter called this morning to say that we had one baby chick each under both of our broody hens. She called a little later saying that the one mean hen with her nest on the floor was chasing around her little chick, but not killing it. She was being pushy and pecked a little. I finally just got home and went out to check when I noticed that there is only one chick under the mean hen on the floor. There are also no eggshells in either on the nests. Would a hen kill, and then eat another hens chick? Or is it more likely that it somehow fell into the run, and sneaked through a crack and escaped somewhere? Also, did the mama hens eat the eggshells?

Could we be dealing with a possible predator that snuck in and ate the chick, and took the eggshells?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    My vote is on a predator.

3. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    This happened to me last year and the majority of votes were that baby chicks look like chicken nuggets to adult chickens. [​IMG]

4. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    Oh okay, I'll keep a close eye on the other ones then.

5. janinepeters

janinepeters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2009
    I have seen adult hens go after other hen's chicks, and try to eat them if they are small. I now keep mom and chicks separate from everyone else until babies are a little larger. A few weeks old maybe? Cannot remember exactly...

6. Kaitie09

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    The one hen is on the floor with her chick and she keeps the baby in the corner at all times. She has always been a mean broody and attacks anything (or anyone) that gets within a foot of her and the chick. The other one(who lost the chick) is very calm and not concerned about much. Oddly enough, the mean hen allows the 2, 6week old chicks we got for the nice one the last time she went broody, to sleep with her and her chick on the floor.

I have a separate area that I can put them in, but I don't know how the two mamas will react having to share a space with each other. Right now the each have more than enough room to keep separate from each other (when the nice hen hatches the rest of the chicks)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by