Broody Layer-can I reverse this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pampered Chickens, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Pampered Chickens

Pampered Chickens New Egg

Sep 10, 2008
    Hi
    I know everyone is trying to make their girls broody but I have 25 layers,9B0,8BR and 8RStar and One handsome Shanghaii Rooster. They are just 6 months old and have been laying well since 4th of July. I now have one broody Buff who wont leave the nest or allow anyone one else acess. We discovered this as she was squishing a BarredRock in the back of the nest!:eek:: I dont want any babies ;I prefer the working girls.Can I do anything to change her behavior? This is my first experience with chickens and i am enjoying them very much.

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

You can try making her uncomfortable. Some recommend putting her in a wire bottom cage (with nothing on the wire) so she won't want to sit. I have also seen posts of those who have had a bad experience with breaking a first time broody so be careful.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I used bricks. The girls would go into and lay eggs in the nests even with the bricks, but wouldn't stay in the nest. [​IMG]

4. Pampered Chickens

Pampered Chickens New Egg

Sep 10, 2008
    :jumpyThanks--I'll give the bricks a try . ..if not sucessful I guess I'll let her have a few eggs and be a 1x Mom.Thanks for the advice-I'll keep you posted.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Welcome!

Some breeds like to set. BO's are notorious for wanting to brood while your other two breeds will lay up a storm. To "break" them, just toss them out of the nest, lock them out of their comfort zones, and make them just feel plain uncomfortable and they should start to lay again in a few weeks. let one go broody and hatch chicks, and you'll loose eggs from her for at least a month or two if not longer if you are going for production. It's hormonal and some just wont give up and will try to hatch rocks, dirt, and even that brick if so inclined.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I'm not saying putting bricks in the nests is the answer, but it worked for me. [​IMG]

7. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

The old bucket trick worked for me! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by