Broody leaving nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rennie, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Has anyone had a broody come off the nest for a few hours at a time and still have chicks hatch ??

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. MjChickens

MjChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    La Center, Wa
    It is normal for the hen to come off the nest for 15-30 mins each day. But if the weather is hot then she my say off longer.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I have had broody hens come off the eggs for hours here in Wales (temperatures much lower than yours). The eggs have felt cold to the touch and they have still gone on to hatch.
    This seems particularly common during early incubation,

Sandie

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Well. It depends...If it's really hot were u are at then that may be the reason why she stays off of them longer..

5. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I've had a broody get back on the wrong nest before. I don't know how long she was off the eggs, but when I got home from work they were cold not just cool. I put her back on and she hatche out 10/11.

If it's hot where you are I think it would be ok, but if it isn't that warm out I'd be concerned about repeated coolings and try blocking an area off so she can't get so distracted and stay away for so long.

How long has she been broody and has she already brooded a clutch this year? They can give up on the clutch if they've been broody a long time or if they're getting too run down from repeated hatchings. You could try giving her some scrambled eggs once a day or so if you think that might be the problem. The eggs are very good for broody hens and help them keep in condition while setting.

6. chickenteacher2

chickenteacher2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2012
    Desert, S. CA
    Thanks, I was nervous....my broody leaving the nest so often today, but it was warm. I thought maybe she was getting ready to abandon those eggs. Luckily, there' s an auntie silkie who takes over (or get some of the eggs under her) when she leaves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by