1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody left the nest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Island Juli, May 16, 2016.

1. Island Juli

Island Juli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2016
    Ugh! Not the best luck with my first time silkie moms. This one sat for 18 days and then decided to change nest boxes. I found the eggs cold but brought them in and candled. One clear, but the other two still Kicking!

I put them in an incubator that already has 7 on going into lockdown tonight. So, 9 in my little brinsea. But I've got another one fired up to move them to as they hatch until they fluff up.

I candled the other 7 and looks like all are good with at least 3 internal pips already. All silkie eggs, they seem to pip and hatch a least 1 to 2 days earlier than my BRs or Australorps.

Ready for some new fluffy butts, I lost 2 in the last two days. Two weeks old, one from wry neck and the other just ftf I think. Never gained any weight and had constant pb. She was still the same size as when she hatched.

Fingers and toes crossed for a good hatch!!

2. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Best of luck! [​IMG]

EDIT: Seeing this was posted 3 days and 1 hour ago how did the hatch go? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2016
  3. Island Juli

Island Juli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2016
    It went great, thanks! Both eggs hatched that the broody left, at 23 days +, not surprised as they were cild when I found them. 5 of the 7 I had set earlier hatched. One if my hens is 3+ years old and even though her eggs are fertilized, I can't get any to hatch. Going to keep trying though.

4. mustangrooster

mustangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

That's the spirit! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by