Broody left the nest.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KathyKlye, Jan 16, 2015.

1. KathyKlye

KathyKlye New Egg

Jan 16, 2015
    My Wyandotte hen left her nest of eggs after sitting for 14 days and wouldn't get back on them. She was off them for 24 hours. Will the eggs still be viable? Why would she get off the nest? Definitely no mites, lice etc. I have put the eggs under a broody duck that had a failed hatch (they were duck eggs under the hen).
    Cheers
    Kathy

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Do you think something could have spooked your hen? Sometimes they just decide they have had enough and abandon the eggs. They could still hatch but maybe delayed with the hen leaving the nest. Depending on how cold the temperatures are where you are can make a difference on how quickly the eggs would cool down. Allthough the eggs had been left it would take longer for the insides of the eggs to cool down.

Wishing you the very best of luck and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    They will only sit for a set amount of days.

Was yours sitting a few days before you put the ducks eggs under her?

If not, was she a first time broody? How old is she? Sometime the very young hens, don't brood well the first time they go broody.

4. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    24 hours is a really long time for them not to have been incubated. Typically during incubation, you don't want your hen to be off the eggs more than one hour at a time. But sometimes eggs can surprise you with how resilient they are. You just never know, so it's always good to give it a try! I would try to candle them in a few days and see if they are still moving in there. Good luck! :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  5. KathyKlye

KathyKlye New Egg

Jan 16, 2015
    I am in Far North Queensland and it has been 30 plus deg here. The hen is a young hen and a first time broody.. The duck is still sitting on the eggs so fingers crossed. Will try to candle them tonight.

6. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Ok, well that's definitely better than if you were in the middle of winter like alot of us! ;) I think that improves your chances a bit for sure. Let us know what you see when you candle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by