Broody left with 2 eggs still in nest, day 20.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ivoryhoof farm, Jun 13, 2008.

1. ivoryhoof farm

ivoryhoof farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    PHX, AZ
    One chick was born two days ago, two more to go. She is off the nest. I want to give the eggs a few more days to hatch. 1 blue egg thats so hard to see inside and a large brown that looks as if there is life inside. (We candled them yesterday)
    We do not have an incubator.
    Is there a make shift incubator that we can put together ASAP? All the one's that I've read about seem like it is going to take alot of time to get going.

We are so new to this.

Thanks!

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Can you enclose her (and the chick) in a box type thing so she has to sit on them? it would only be for a day or two... that's what I think I would do, since I don't have an incubator either. I just recently relocated a broody who wouldn;t sit after I moved her, and so I locked her in overnight. today she is sitting again, and she has 10 more days to go. Worth a try anyway.

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    That would be my suggestions too. If she absolutely won't, you can do what I read someone else did. They put the eggs in their oven at 100 degrees with a pot of water and left the door open about 2 inches. I'm sure they put a thermometer in first to make sure it wasn't too hot!!

4. ivoryhoof farm

ivoryhoof farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    PHX, AZ
    Thanks, great advice but she's done with this nesting part. She and her chick have not left the coup at all and has moved to a different corner. I'm going to move the eggs in the house and use a heating pad with a wash cloth and towel with a thermometer. I really don't want to use the oven unless I absolutely need to.
    I'll post if it's a success!

Really appreciate the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by