Broody Legbars?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LRH97, Jun 4, 2014.

1. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I have a Cream Legbar girl who "acts" like she wants to set on a clutch. I've owned Legbars for several years now and this is my first broody of this particular breed. I haven't heard very nice things about them when it comes to mothering, but I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with them?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I've never had legbars, but how is she doing now?

3. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    She's doing well. We're on day 18 and should be getting babies this Saturday. I wasn't sure at first how well she would do, but she's been quite devoted and stuck it out. Needless to say, she kind of surprised me. Hopefully she'll be a good momma! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  4. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Yes, hopefully she will. I didn't even know that legbars went broody! It thought that since their suppose to be good layers then they didn't. I answered you because I know how frustrating it can be when NO ONE answers.

1 person likes this.
  5. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I know! I thought the same thing. I was thinking anything with Leghorn blood in it would either never go broody, or would just torment me and crap out half way through. [​IMG] Oh well, there's always exceptions in the chicken world I guess. Thanks for checking in. I really appreciate it. [​IMG]

6. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Your welcome! Hope she's a good mom!

7. fatcatx

fatcatx Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope it's not bad form to revive a thread this old. I was hoping to hear the rest of the story and if she was a good mom.

We've barely had our Legbars a year and one has gone broody. DH wants to stick some eggs under her but 1. I don't trust her to stay put and 2. The last time we let a hen brood, her personality permanently did a 180. She went from sweet and docile to a raging angry bully looking for a fight.

Did things go well and did she ever go broody again?

8. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Not bad at all! The story of my Legbars is actually kind of sad. This particular bird that this thread was about successfully hatched out chicks and co-raised them with a Jersey Giant. She was a surprisingly good momma. At the time, my broody coop was a cheapie from Rural King in which the Legbar, the JG and their babies stayed. Unfortunately, one morning I heard quite the commotion outside. I ran out and saw that a fox somehow got the latch and door open on the coop, and had taken the Legbar out. By the time I got there, it was too late. This fox had been a long-time problem and had already taken out my other CL hen, leaving only my CL roo and this broody girl. So with my last hen gone, and only the roo left, I re-homed the roo to a friend with a few CL's. She didn't die in vain though. That fox only drug her half way to the weeds where they usually disappear, and was enjoying his meal in the open. A single shot and problem gone (this one, anyway). So she didn't get to see her kids grow up completely, but she did have the behaviors that I've seen with some of the better mothers I've had. She was genuinely interested in the chicks and really looked after them.(Showed them how to scratch and forage etc.) So, my advice would be to leave yours on some fake eggs or golf balls for a couple days and see if she sticks with it. If so, go ahead and stick some eggs under her! As far as the personality change, I haven't had that happen, yet anyway. And I've had quite the number of broodies through the years. Could've just been the individual as well, so I really wouldn't worry too much about that.

P.S. -- I haven't gotten around to getting more CL's yet, but it's in the works for the near future.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  9. fatcatx

fatcatx Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] That is a sad way to end things, especially after she saw things through to the hatch.

I guess I will try and find some eggs for her to give it a shot. Hopefully she won't turn mean like her surrogate mom.

10. LRH97

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Best of luck to you! I hope she does well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by