Broody Leghorn Should I worry? (Picture added)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by L&Schickens, Apr 17, 2009.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I have been leaving all of the Welsummer eggs in the nest in hopes that one of the Wellie hens will decide to sit on them. Well, I also have 3 leghorn hens in the cage, and I think one has gone broody on me. She is a commercial bred bird from Ideal Poultry. Should I see how she does, or kick her off the nest before it is too late?

[​IMG]

I don't know how many she has under there, but I am guessing 15 or so.

She also is holding a "Broody" class. The young 3 month old pullets are in the nest area with her. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    It is well after dark now and she is still on the nest. So, she sure did go broody. I just hope she keeps it up and becomes a good mother. She will be my only one left as I am taking the others to the sale tomorrow. I was going to take all 3, but if she is going to sit, I better not take her. Silly hen.[​IMG]

3. giasmom

giasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Shoot I'm jealous I wanted to get some Leghorns, the reason I didn't was because everyone told me they hardly ever go broody !
    Heck if that's the case I'd be PROUD of her !

4. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I just hope she stays on the nest and lets them hatch. I am worried she will not. So far so good, at day 2. [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Hopefully some breeders that develop strains of chickens will read this and get some eggs from you to try to develop a broody leghorn strain. It would be unique.

6. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I don't have a leghorn roo and she is sitting on pur bred Welsummer eggs. I took all the leghorn eggs out of the nest. It would be cool to have a strain of broody non-setters though. [​IMG]

7. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Leghorns will get broodie and do a good job. When i was a kid i hatched many goslings under leghorn hens.

8. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Well I hope your right about some Leghorns, I also have 4 brown leghorns from Ideal, hope mine will go broody also! Good luck with your broody leghorn!

9. apukanski

apukanski Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    I have 9 white leghorns,everyday my one hen sits on all the eggs that are laid. Sometimes she gets snippy when we pick her up and take her prizes. We have no rooster, so it must be instinct. [​IMG]

10. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

I have brown leghorns....hope they do the same as the white!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by