Broody leghorn

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tinakevin, Sep 29, 2016.

1. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    My leghorn went missing for awhile and when I went out this morning she had reappeard. She was very hungry and thirsty. I knew she had to be laying on eggs cuz this is the 2nd time I seen her do this. I followed her today and yes she is sitting. My question is should I bring her into the coup with the eggs. It's been down in the 30's and 40's at night and only in the 60's during the day. I live in nh so it's starting to get cold

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Does are if you try to move her she won't sit on the eggs, I would let her be if you want her to hatch. Chickens are comfortable in those temperatures.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The cold isn't a problem, tho rain and cold might be, but predators would be my biggest concern.
    But moving her is risky as they can rebel and not continue sitting.
    If you do move her, I would put her in the coop but separated by wire from the flock to contain her.

Maybe doing some reading in these threads will help you make a decision:
    advanced search>titles only> moving a broody

4. tinakevin

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Thank you. I was thinking the same thing about the rain. We r supposed to be getting some this weekend. I guess I'll take the chance. She is young and it doesn't matter if she breaks her broody. I don't really need more chicks but I won't object to having any more either. I will try to move her. The predator thing is what I'm more afraid of. It's fall and trees and bushes are thinning. I would like to see her chicks thou they will def be interesting. Leghorn mom and partridge silky dad lol

5. tinakevin

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Do I move her first then slip then slip the eggs under her or do I move the eggs and put her in after

6. tinakevin

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    So I took your advise and read some threads on moving her. I did move her tonight in a large dog crate and at first she wasn't too happy with me but I went into check on her and she had all 12 eggs tucked under her. It is so amazing she can cover all those eggs. Now the wait

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Crossing my fingers for you!

8. tinakevin

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Well I think all the baby chicks are dead. I moved her and she originally sat in them so I thought all was well but this morning she wasn't on them and they were cold. I feel so bad because I candled them and 8 of them had babies just about fully developed. They weren't moving so I assume they r dead. So she was all upset and went back to her original nest so I slipped back her eggs but I'm sure it's useless. I will wait for her to give up and hope none go broody again till spring. Lesson learned

9. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sorry, I have never had any luck convincing a broody hen to relocate. There's always hope that the chicks have survived despite their chilling.

10. tinakevin

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Thank u. I was trying to keep her safe but i sacrificed 8 little babies. My heart breaks for them but I can't undo what's been done so next time I just leave her be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by