Broody Leghorn???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Desert Peep, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Desert Peep

Desert Peep Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Imagine my surprise when my brown rose comb leghorn "Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner" decided to go broody along with her buddy "Lowrider" the Japanese Bantam Cross. I always thought Leghorns were a breed that were less likely to go broody. Anybody else have a broody Leghorn?

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner and Lowrider. And let's not forget Myrtle the BO who also decided to join the "Broody Bunch"
    [​IMG]

Broody Bunch sharing a nest
    [​IMG]

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I thought I picked breeds that weren't supposed to go broody but it's a losing battle!! No leghorns, but yours is a cutie. I didn't know there was such a thing as a rosecomb leghorn. Love their names!

3. Desert Peep

Desert Peep Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    I didn't know such a creature existed either, but all the experts on BYC chimed in and said that's what she is. My poor BO; she has spent a good part of her life sitting in the nest on a golfball:)

4. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    My WLH Molly went broody on 9/4. She just hatched 6 out of 7 eggs under her today:)[​IMG][​IMG] this is my first experience with chickens and I'm shocked that it happened after everything I've read about the breed. She's just 7 months old too.

5. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    I have a white leghorn who is broody and we can't break her of it. The eggs are not even fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by